Tuesday, May 27, 2014

In the eyes of a wolf.


I looked at a caged wolf mesmerized and sad all at once. He looked happy when the care giver petted him, he looked content eating what they fed. Somehow, I could not shake away the sinking feeling I felt looking at him. I looked around to see if anyone else felt the same way too, but, the crowd was happily chatting away, some eating their snacks, some explaining their kids about the wolf, oblivious to my turmoil. I could not understand why I felt the way I was feeling, until I looked at his eyes.

In his eyes, I saw a cry for help. I could see he wanted to get out and be free. It was not his life that he was leading. He was supposed to be in a jungle, being the predator he was created to be. I wondered, what was it that was keeping him inside? Was it the security of the life he has gotten used to or the fear of unknown outside that cage? Will he survive if he got out or has he been conditioned so much that he has forgotten who he once was?  I moved on to watch the next animal only to find a reflection of the wolf and he was with me long after I left the zoo.

No comments: